You can probably guess where we land on this subject, but let's talk a little more about it. We believe so deeply in the impact and importance of writing your own wedding vows but can't simply turn a blind eye to the significance of traditional vows.
There is so much beauty in the concepts depicted in traditional vows...
- For richer, for poorer...
- Your marriage is not based on finances but on love.
- In sickness and in health...
- You're not just there for the easy but also for the times of struggle.
- Til death do us part...
- You're in it for the long haul
These concepts are deep and good and significant promises to make.
- They are broad and unspecific.
- They don't speak to your unique love; they speak to love in general.
- They may not feel as impactful because they've been said before.
- You are confined in what you can say by words written many years before.
Traditional vows don't belong to you...they belong to the millions of couples who have said them before, and while there is goodness in that, we believe there is far more magic in speaking the words written in your own unique hearts.